What kind of USB adapter can I use with the SteriPEN Freedom/Ultra?
Essentially any USB power source will do. The 'U' in USB means Universal. The quick answers are in bold.
- The voltage coming out of USB is 5V.
- The available current coming of of USB can be just about anything, but is typically 500mA or more.
- The SteriPEN can charge the battery at 500mA, at MOST. If the power source is less than 500mA, then no biggie -- the battery will just take a little longer to charge. If the power source is more than 500mA, then the battery will only charge at 500mA, no more.
- The maximum power that the SteriPEN needs to charge is 2.5W. If the power source can provide more than that, then, still, the SteriPEN will only ask for 2.5W of it.
The SteriPEN Freedom and Ultra use a 'Type-A to micro-b', and they're available at just about any electronics, or drug, store.
Essentially any solar panel will do, so long as it has a USB Type-A output. For fastest charge times, you want at least a 2.5W solar panel. A solar panel that has less of a power output will work, but the charge time will increase.
If you have a solar charger with an internal battery:
- Freedom: At least 2,000 mAh internal battery for a full charge
- Ultra: At least 4,000 mAh internal battery for a full charge
Great brands of Solar Panels:
- more to come....